Mail Call

Sam's letters to her loved ones from Basic Training and AIT

03 March 2007

Phone call today

I was graced this afternoon with a phone call from Our Blessed Lady of Camouflage. It was unfortunately brief, thanks to a prior commitment on my part, but I talked to her as long as possible, right up until I had to walk in the door.

I told her about selling our house, and she says she just wants to know in what state her next house will be! LOL

She sounds great, and is extremely happy with her decision to enlist. She loves her classes, and says they are throwing so much material at them it's like "trying to drink from a fire hose." She did not score the highest in her class on one test this past week, but says that she'll "fix that" with a test she has coming up on Tuesday. We spoke for a while about the need for better mental health services for the armed forces, about the current push in Congress to no longer treat PTSD at our V.A. hospitals, and about how someone like her could go from counseling G.I.s and their families to making policy on a system-wide level.

Her commanding officer has told her that he'll be taking orders from her some day, and he is probably right. It sounds like our Sammie has found the place where she belongs.

2 Comments:

Blogger BTExpress said...

Hmmmm, 'General Sammie' sounds pretty good to me.

06 March, 2007 23:54  
Blogger Samantha Alice said...

No, no, I've heard that from a few Drill Sergeants and Instructors - no Captain has ever suggested that I'd ever outrank him / her...

yet. ;-}

08 March, 2007 10:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home